Estate Planning

We provide estate planning services for individuals and couples. We will meet with you to go over your unique estate and come up with a plan that will best serve your loved ones.

As part of our package, we prepare the following documents:

Last Will and Testament

This document will lay out your final wishes on how your property and assets should be handled upon your death. As part of this process, we can set up a simple Trust for your minor children or grandchildren. You can name an Executor and Trustee in your Last Will and Testament.

Living Will

The Texas living will, also known as an ‘advance directive’ and by the State as a ‘directive to physicians.’ This is a legal document that provides to a Declarant a way in which the Declarant may make their end of life decisions understood, prior to the time that the Declarant is no longer able to express their wishes on their own and so the medical team knows exactly how to honor the end of life decisions of their patient. This document may be revoked at any time if the Declarant remains competent to do so.

Medical Power of Attorney

A Medical Power of Attorney is a document that will give an individual or individuals the right to make medical decisions for you and have access to your medical records if you are not able to make medical decisions for yourself.

Statutory Durable Power of Attorney

A statutory durable power of attorney is a legal agreement, giving someone, normally a spouse if someone is married, the power to act on behalf of someone else, except for healthcare decisions. This document can be effective immediately or in the future upon a finding of incompetency.

A power of attorney’s role can be tailored to suit almost any situation and can include managing the principle’s bank account, personal residence, and trust fund, or simply paying bills and sending invoices.

Designation of Guardian in Advance of Need

A Designation of Guardian can be used in two ways: to designate a guardian for yourself should you be deemed incapacitated in the future (ex. Dementia) or to designate a guardian for your child.

There are two types of guardianships in Texas: guardianship of the estate and guardianship of the person. A guardian of the estate is responsible for managing the property and financial affairs of the incapacitated person (the ward). A guardian of the person is generally responsible for providing care, supervision, and shelter for the ward. An individual may be appointed either guardian of the person or guardian of the estate, or both. You may also designate the same person or different person(s) as the guardian of your estate and guardian of your person.

In the event that a minor child’s parents both die, then you can designate in your document who you want the court to appoint as a guardian of both the person and estate of the minor child. In this instance, the law does not recognize any automatic provisions for determining a guardian to care for the minor children.